Thursday, December 25, 2008

Holiday cheer(s)

Well, it's Christmas today and I had to pass on the eggnog & brandy, and the mimosas, and the red wine, and the seasonal beers, etc. I had to do the same last night, at the Christmas Eve get-together that I went to. And that's okay, although a bit annoying because I'm not yet feeling so crappy that I don't want to partake in the festive libations. They still look, and smell, and yes, even taste, delicious.

You see, my plan is to not let anyone know I am pregnant (other than the baby's father) until I know that the baby is healthy. And then the plan is to tell my children first. You see, I'm 40, so there is more than a chance that this pregnancy could end in a miscarriage, or in a termination if the wee fetus has major health problems. (Yes, all of you who cannot abide by pregnancy termination of any kind should stop reading right now, we don't agree, and I'm not going to apologize for it.) So, because I DO like to drink socially, and all my friends know this fact, I've been pretending to drink. Which I'm finding is impossible to do completely successfully. You end up taking a few sips here and there during the holiday toasts and impromptu raising of glasses. Maybe this means I'm already a terrible parent, but it still does taste good, and we're talking a few sips, and I just don't want to give it away. Judge if you will.

No comments:

Post a Comment